[Gllug] My and my malloc() problems....

Darran D. Rimron-Molloy ddrm at digital-science.net
Wed Dec 26 00:39:40 UTC 2001

Hiya,

For the last 24 hours, I have been seeing some very odd behaviour from some
code I am hacking together....

First of all, the machine IS NOT running out of ram, and the malloc itself
isn't failing. I've written my own version of malloc (called my_malloc, of
course)

 void *my_malloc(size_t size)
 {
    void *ret;

    if(!(ret = malloc(size))) {
       fprintf(stderr, "\n\nOut of memory\n\n");
       exit(1);
    }

    return ret;
 }

Anyway, with, or without, this in place a malloc in one place of the code...

 next_item = (program_item *)malloc(sizeof(program_item));

fails when I remove a sleep(1) statement from elsewhere in my code, in a
different routine, prior to the malloc by about 30 or 40 statements.... the
same error also occours when I remove a nanosleep(0,200) from the code, the
line prior to the malloc....

Is there something I don't know about malloc()?!

Please, can ANYONE help?

	-Cheers, Darran

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk