[Gllug] vi indenting

Mark Hemment markhe at veritas.com
Wed Dec 19 13:07:50 UTC 2001

On Wed, 19 Dec 2001, Pete Ryland wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 11:02:43AM +0000, Alex Hudson wrote:
> > On Wed, 2001-12-19 at 09:48, tet at accucard.com wrote:
> > > texts, then sure, indent with spaces, but I've yet to see a single
> > > valid argument (including jwz's) for indenting code with anything
> > > but tabs.
> >
> > I agree 100%. Anyone using anything to indent other than tabs should be
> > shot. Space signifies separation, tabs signify layout. You can move
> > tabs. Tabs are fantastic.
> >
> > People who use two spaces _and_ don't cuddle braces are the worst kind
> > and produce the most unreadable, messy code. That's not opinion, that's
> > fact*, you write better code when you use tabs (i.e., ASCII#9, not the
> > tab button to issues sequences of spaces).
>
> ok, if we're all having a vote, then this seven-year vim veteran is a
> two-space brace cuddler. :)
>
> I think that makes 3 for the hard tabbers, and 2 for the softies.

  Can I add a few hundred for the hard tabbers?

  Every company I've worked/contracted for over +10yrs have had
hard-tabs as part of their coding standing.  When there are a few
million lines of code to maintain, engineers can better spend their
time understanding the logic and design rather than fighting with
readability.
  The core of each company's standard has been the same.  Coincidence? I
think not.

  Here, at Veritas, there is a tool which checks for conformance to
our coding standard, and "names-and-shames" anyone who breaks it with
checked-in code.  The standard is fairly tight.  While no standard can
guarantee code correctness, it does a pretty good job on the readability
front.
  Unfortunately, a few internal groups haven't yet adopted the standard -
and their code is unreadable.

  Remember, tabbing isn't just for Xmas - its for life!

Mark

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk