[Gllug] Video Editing in Linux

Martyn Drake martyn at alug.org.uk
Tue Dec 18 12:54:03 UTC 2001

On my trip to Cinesite (cool company - lots of seriously nice hardware
and software to play with) I noticed that virtually everything was
produced either by SGI boxes (whether that be modelling/rendering,
colour correction (the Pogle, I believe, uses SGI hardware), NT (spit,
spit) workstations, or in some cases Linux (workstations or a small
render clusters).

Isn't the AVID editing system based around NT/2000, as a matter of
interest?  Are there any decent general UNIX editing systems out there
(IRIX, Solaris or whatever)?

Anyway, thanks to Will for making available Broadcast 2000 available - I
certainly won't sue them if it goes wrong - I'm only intending to edit
and distribute my wedding video to the family and not make Tomb Raider
II :)

Agreed about pulling back on Broadcast 2000 - it's a shame that in this
day and age of people suing the pants off each other that it's come to
this sort of thing.  But surely the majority of what is being used in
post-production/visual effects experimental software anyway?

Kind regards,

	Martyn

--
Web     : http://www.drake.org.uk