[Gllug] Re: Abstraction, natural language and linguistics.

David Freeman freemadi at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jul 15 15:20:07 UTC 2001

 --- Alex Hudson <hudson_a at alexhudson.com> wrote: > On Sun, 15 Jul
2001, David Freeman wrote:
> > Perl is still not great! no matter where you start and on what
> plane
> > you are on.
>
> Sure it is.

Define?

> (what a sound arguement :)
>
> > But by doing things in so many different ways you acquire the
> > ambiguity
>
> No you don't, you aquire vocabulary. Different. Ambiguity means that
> you
> cannot determine the precise meaning of something no matter how much
> of
> the language you know; having many different methods means you need
> know more to understand more...

Yes but not only do you get vocabulary you get accustomed to the rules
of the language re word order and use of grammer. and then distort
these rules but still end up with decent sentences, which is the same
with computer languages, just at a different level.

> > > And obviously failed, otherwise you would have been converted :P
> :)
> >
> > Couldn't get my head round it.
>
> Heh, I knew it :) It has to be said though, there is a lot of poor
> Perl
> code out there.

you mean thers good perl code out there?

Thanks

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk