[Gllug] Demon dial-up problems

Andre Newman andre at walkabout.compulink.co.uk
Wed Jul 25 22:39:34 UTC 2001

On Wednesday 25 July 2001 09:07, you wrote:
> Has anyone been able to use gnome-ppp with Demon's dial-up?

If this is surftime or friaco number, as I understand you are not dialing
Demon at all, you dial a modem concentrator in your local telephone exchange
and then that connects back to Demon over BT's (colossus) ATM network.

I had some trouble getting Redhat 6.2 to dial in to one of these numbers but
when I upgraded to Mandrake 7.2 all was fine (also windows NT or 95 didn't
work either until I upgraded the RAS/DUN components).
I noticed that my friaco number stopped accepting pap on sunday afternoon, I
had to switch to chap to get it working again.

If you like I can mail you an ifcfg-ppp0 and chat-ppp0 that has been tested
with Demon surftime, they are from Mandrake 8.0 so should be fine for your
setup. You can dial with ifup ppp0, no Kppp or Gnome-ppp required.

Regards

Andre

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk