[Gllug] Partition debate

home at alexhudson.com home at alexhudson.com
Fri Jul 20 17:23:18 UTC 2001

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 05:49:35PM +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> > Something I dont understand, arent filesystem quotas now in place on
> > things like ext2, in which case separate partitions would be unneeded?
>
> A quota is something you apply to an ext2 partition.  So very much needed,
> if you want to do quotas.

Are you suggesting that for quotas to be effective you need multiple
partitions?

> Assuming it behaves.  A random bug may send it (or any other
> application) filling up your disk.

Apply a quota to your user then - the argument that you need /home on a
separate partition to stop a disk filling up doesn't apply if you have
quotas, because once the user reaches their limit it stops. My personal
preference as a user is again to have only one partition - because then I
know my quota, and don't necessarily have to keep track of exactly where I
can use my quota :)

Cheers,

Alex.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk