[Gllug] linux and floppy disks

Chris Ball chris at cpan.org
Mon Jul 2 14:17:23 UTC 2001

On Sun, Jul 01, 2001 at 11:50:43PM +0100, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> IIRC, with 3 1/2 inch drives it is possible to poll the drive

Undoubtedly. What do you mean by 'poll the drive', though? It'd have to
be done once every few seconds, and that amount of syscalling, dealing
with interrupts, and entering/exiting kernel space every so often (not to
mention the noise of the attempted read, which would probably be even
more annoying!) isn't something I'd be easily convinced to do with my
own systems..

~C.

--
Chris Ball.