[Gllug] two heads better than one?

bredroll bredroll at atari.org
Sun Jul 15 18:47:10 UTC 2001

Hello :-)

On Sun, 15 Jul 2001, David Freeman wrote:

> I am about to by a new graphics card so I can play quake 2 and 3 on my
> linux box.
>
> I am looking at the Geforce 2 mx with either 32 or 64mb of ram. But I
> have a couple of questions.
>
> 1)On a athlon 700 will the extra 32MB of ram on the 64MB board make a
> lot of difference, is it worth getting to prolong the life a little?

It will, but not a particularly significant one, but thinking ahead there
is bound to be stuff that uses lots of textue ram. quake2 runs on most
things and will fly even on a P233 and voodoo1 or even s3 virge. q3 needs
3dfx/opengl hardware really. so geforce 2 is ideal

> 2)I currently have a 8mb mystique which I am happy with for normal X
> windows stuff. The question I have is: if I leave that in a PCI slot
> and drop the Geforce in the AGP slot, can I then run duel head on the
> same box? so That I get a nice big work space? also can I run different
> resolutions on different screens, or X on one, and Quake 2 on the
> other?

yes you can do this, multihead is easy, even i figured it out, you can
have any screen size. if you want xinerama (2 monitors 1 desktop) then
they both need to be same col depth.

svgalibs new versions allow you to use multihead systems. bit complicated
tho.

i have 2 s3 virge cards. i use xinerama and i can ctrl alt fx out to play
quake2/squake on the primary card.

but you can play quake2/3 in X, therefore using your xinerama, DRI doesnt
work over multiple cards, (afaik) but i think mesa glx might let you do
accelerated gl on the geeforce2 if you dont use xinerama and just use
normal X with multiple displays (xinerama gives 1 display over several
screens and normal gives each screen a localhost:x address - you can even
run different window managers in each)

hope this is helpful

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk