: [Gllug] content

Bruce Richardson brichardson at lineone.net
Mon Jul 30 08:50:15 UTC 2001

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 02:48:26AM +0100, Simon Bunker wrote:
> Why is it that most Linux screen shots on the net have 3 million windows on
> them? (OK slight exageration ;o) when most of the GUI's give extra virtual
> desktops. Is it just that no one uses them or that all of them look like
> that! Does anyone else use these much? I don't see it as much of an
> advantage, unless you have two monitors with one on each. Or I might put
> some downloads on another to hide it - I have never had to use all 4 (or 8)
> though.

I don't use window managers that don't offer multiple desktops - it's
the most useful feature of any wm, to me.  I typically have 4 or 5
desktops with each one dedicated to a particular purpose: one for
mail/news, one for web, one for coding, one for remote shells to servers
etc.

Many window managers offer the ability to specifiy that application X
should appear on desktop N whenever it is launched.  That makes it even
easier to organise desktops by function.

Since any one work task may involve several apps, using multiple
desktops in this way allows me to switch from one task to another by
just pressing Alt-N (where N is 1 to whatever).  Without multiple
desktops it would be "minimize this, that and that, bring that to the
top, restore that" and so on.

> Can anyone thing of a useful task for them or is it just yet another
> gimmick?

Think I have done this.

--
Bruce

Bitterly it mathinketh me, that I spent mine wholle lyf in the lists
against the ignorant.  -- Roger Bacon, "Doctor Mirabilis"