[Gllug] Re: XNS and .NET

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Wed Jul 11 07:44:45 UTC 2001

>> for example = my main 'alias' is called "Axel Segebrecht"
>> and instead of sending an email to "alexander at smatrix.de" you would
>> send it to 'Axel Segebrecht' - yes! no @ no email - just the name :)
>
>Hmmm. So, if you're name's Fred Smith, you're probabably out of luck
>then?

Equally, if you're name's Axel Segebrecht, you're probably out of luck
too. Why? Because most people are going to end up misspelling the last
name. Our company has standardised on a first.last at company.com email
naming scheme, which suffers from exactly the same problems, but they're
resisting my attempts to change it. It worked OK when we were just 10 or
15 people, but now we've grown, we have staff with all sorts of "wierd"
names -- long Belgian surnames, "Patrik" rather than "Patrick", those
who prefer to be "Andy" rather than "Andrew", etc. It's starting to fall
apart, and it *is* causing problems. The number of misspelt email addresses
is noticably increasing, resulting in more bounced mail, and I've had to
resort to clumsy hacks like providing aliases for common misspellings that
point to the real address.

Trying to scale a system like that to the whole internet is just doomed
to failure from the start.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk