[Gllug] Website developement

Stig Brautaset stig at brautaset.org
Sun Jul 15 19:57:33 UTC 2001

Nix <nix at esperi.demon.co.uk> writes:

> On Sun, 15 Jul 2001, David Freeman said:
> > Was C based on B or BCPL? and wasn't that in turn based on a language
> > beginining with A (ada pos?)
>
> *boggle* not quite. C was based on BC, which was based on B (both by
> Kernighan)

You are not entirely correct yourself either I think... The paragraph
cited below is a direct transcript from the introduction in "The C
programming Language", 2. edition, by Dennis Ritchie and Brian
Kernighan:

       "Many of the important ideas of C stem from the language BCPL,
        developed by Martin Richards. The influence of BCPL on C
        proceeded indirectly through the language B, which was written
        by Ken Thompson in 1970 for the first UNIX system on the DEC
        PDP-7."

Somehow I think Kernighan would have known that he wrote B, and thus
not tell everyone that Ken Thompson did it (unless he was very ashamed
of B and not a very good friend of Ken Thompson ;-)

Cheers, Stig
--
 20:44:40 up 22:24,  5 users,  load average: 0.07, 0.04, 0.01

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk