[Gllug] simputer

Wulf Forrester-Barker wulf.f-b at uhl.nhs.uk
Tue Jul 10 14:08:54 UTC 2001

John,

Thanks for doing some legwork... I'll have a chat with the people who've got the money....

Cheers,

Wulf

>>> john.hearns at framestore.co.uk 10/07/2001 2:45:30 pm >>>
Wulf Forrester-Barker wrote:

> It's really going to come into its own when we can tattoo a computer onto each member of staff... still a little way off though. ;-)

Wulf,
I went out to TCR over lunchtime.
Shymatronics have a load of Compaq Aero 8000's for sale,
for 250 quid ex VAT.

Form factor is of a small, thin laptop with an 800x600
screen. Weight is less than three pounds.
They have both a PCMCIA slot and a Compact Flash slot.
Built in modem and touchpad mouse.
Come with WinCE, pocket excel/word and explorer.
Add a wireless card to that and I think you could have
a good platform for your wireless project!

I seem to get the impression that Shymatronics have been
dumped with a job lot of these, or they are coming to end
of line. That might be an advantage - I bet you they would
do a good discount for half-a-dozen.

Sadly there doesn't seem to be much progress in getting
Linux on them.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk

wulf.f-b at uhl.nhs.uk

DISCLAIMER:

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual and
not necessarily the Trust. This email and any files transmitted with
it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual
or entity to whom they are addressed. Any unauthorised disclosure of
the information contained in this e-mail is strictly prohibited.

The contents of this email may contain software viruses which could
damage your own computer system. Whilst we have taken every
reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, we cannot accept liability
for any damage which you sustain as a result of software viruses.
You should therefore carry out your own virus checks before opening
the attachment.

If you have received this email in error please notify the sender or
postmaster at uhl.nhs.uk. Please then delete this email.

University Hospital Lewisham
Tel: 020 8333 3000
Web: www.uhl.ac.uk