Fw: [Gllug] Libretto

John Edwards john_ed at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Sat Jul 14 15:45:18 UTC 2001

On Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 03:52:23PM +0100, Matt Bunter wrote:
> Cheers for your advice. I should have access to a PCMCIA card on Monday.
> People on the net all seem to install Red Hat onto the Libretto - is there
> any reason that you chose 6.2? and has anyone on the list installed anything
> else?
>
> Been trying to find out if the Libretto can be used with a CD at all - any
> info would be appreciated.

Hi
I've installed RedHat 6.2 a while back onto my Libretto 100 using
a ftp install from a local ftp server.

There is a problem with the external PCMCIA floppy drive that is the
Libretto uses requires a driver (written by David Bateman) that is
not part of the main PCMCIA distribution, and is available at:
	http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/contrib/
This requires patching and recompiling the kernel.

The install of RedHat 6.2 worked as the BIOS can load the first disk
itself, and the initrd on the install disk holds all every thing you
need for the install until you contact the ftp server.

I've tried upgrading to RedHat 7.1 last week and it requires two disks
(pcmcia and pcmciadd) for a PCMCIA install rather than the one that
RedHat 6.2 needed. So the first disk loads but the second one will not,
leaving you up the creek.

If RedHat had an installer that would load from Linux itself it would be
fine, or if you could upgrade packages online like Debian's apt-get.

So if you can get a PCMCIA CDROM then I'd recommend that you try that for
large hard disk to store the install image, I haven't tried those yet.

A good source of information is:
	http://www.linux-laptop.net/toshiba.html

If anyone does manage to get a solution please let me know.

--
|    John Edwards, Email: John_Ed at CornerstoneLinux.co.uk              |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk