[Gllug] Website developement

Dean S Wilson dean.wilson3 at virgin.net
Sun Jul 15 16:11:31 UTC 2001

From: "Bruce Richardson" <brichardson at lineone.net>

>> I used to do this, and the best tool I found was WML (website meta

>> <newsitem>
>> blah blah
>> </newsitem>
>> Then run make; make install to upload :) It was pretty okay.

>Do I hear in the distance (from somewhere near Brick Lane), a voice
>shouting "XML!"?

Maybe. :)

XML is a Good Thing for a lot of this kind of stuff (IMHO), I'd be a
bit dubious about learning another markup system like WML (Which I
have to plead ignorance of having never used it.) since it's not (If
it does what I think it does) really reusable in other areas. XML is
becoming widely accepted and has a nice selection of pre-written tools
for its use (Although I doubt Tom would have issues writing his own
tools, I'm a bit lazier than that ;)) and can be put into a nice
integrated solution to take a lot of the pain away from managing a
website.

A nice simple templating system can help make your life a lot simpler
in these cases and Bruce'l back me up when I say that separating
content and presentation makes your life a lot easier in the long run.
Using make files and the c pre-processor just seems so kludgy... I'd
be looking at using something like Template::Toolkit, Axkit, or Zope
(Which has an amazing amount of documentation) and letting that take
most of the strain if its anything more than a dozen pages. if on the
other hand you have a three page site then to hell with it and do what
you like :)

    Dean
--
Profanity is the one language all programmers understand.
   ---  Anon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk