[Gllug] LDAP book

Jim Cheetham jim at gonzul.org
Mon Jul 23 09:59:47 UTC 2001

At 10:44 23/07/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>If you are using or setting up LDAP, the
>best book I could find is
>"Implementing LDAP" by Mark Wilcox, by Wrox Press .
>http://www.wrox.com/Books/Book_Details.asp?ISBN=1861002211

I just have a problem with any book featuring a grimacing author on the
front cover - call it a reaction to Peter Norton, but it's just a turn off ...

ESR would probably classify this as non-hacker behaviour, on the grounds of
"blowing your own trumpet", but it's more likely to be something the
marketing people thought was a good idea ... whatever the cause, it
encourages me to judge a book by its cover. :-)

I've got the large hardback "Understanding and Deploying LDAP Directory
Services" by a multitude of authors,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1578700701/o/qid=995882081/sr=2-1/ref=sr_sp_bow_1_1/202-5026081-0154267
and besides the very nice cover photo of a bridge :-) it's pretty into the
theory, but none of the practice. Its vintage is mostly pre-product, so
you're expected to go off programming yourself. Mind you, nothing ages like
a product/version-specific book.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk