[Gllug] Re: Abstraction, natural language and linguistics. was Re: [Gllug] Website developement

David Freeman freemadi at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jul 15 14:40:50 UTC 2001

 --- Alex Hudson <hudson_a at alexhudson.com> wrote: > On Sun, 15 Jul
2001, David Freeman wrote:

> > > Where do we begin?
> >
> > In the beginning is the normal place, but this doesn't necessaryily
> > make it the best place.
>
> No, it doesn't, and the vast ranges and expanses that are the plane
> known
> as 'why is perl so great?' show that there may even be more than one
> beginning.

Perl is still not great! no matter where you start and on what plane
you are on.

> > answer a question. What is english?
> >
> > Its a high level language used by humans to comunicate and process
> > information.
> > <snip>
> > What is the bigest problem with english?
>
> Straw man. English's problem as a programming language is not that it
> is
> high-level, it's because it's ambiguous. Perl isn't ambiguous, and
> therefore your argument is false.

But by doing things in so many different ways you acquire the
ambiguity, it is a fact of language. Be it perl, C or english, if you
expand it so you can do things lots of ways, you gain ambiguity.

> > And yes I did try learning it.
>
> And obviously failed, otherwise you would have been converted :P :)

Couldn't gte my head round it. I'm sure

would work ok as a script.

> > I am going to go with the idea of using gcc and the C preprocessor,
> its
> > eactly what I want.
>
> Lovely...

Thanks