[Gllug] Virus or worm?

Warwick Harvey warwick.harvey at btinternet.com
Thu Jul 26 22:36:47 UTC 2001

>    I have just received 4 consecutive, incorrectly addressed, emails, all
of
> which were redirected to the same default mailbox as a single spool file.
> Each contained one large Outlook Express attatchment, the four adding up
> a possible virus or worm. If anyone would like a copy of them, complete
with
> full headers, please let me know whether you would like each line to be
> prefixed with any ASCII character to denature the file. (My computer was
of
> course totally unaffected).
>

> doc/lnk 213K
> doc/bat 230K
> doc/com 206K
> doc/pif 219K

A co-worker today received (I think) one of the doc/pif.  He asked, "What's
a PIF file?"  I told him "Program Information File" --- and then suggested
he be careful, since I'd seen a few viruses lately.  But the email contents
seemed legit, and he presumably thought it was a .doc file, and after saving
it under UNIX, proceeded to open it on his NT box...  Bad move.  Norton
anti-virus was popping up warnings, etc.  And when he tried to run the NAV
executable to try to disinfect, it wouldn't let him, claiming the executable
was infected.  :(

Don't mess with this stuff (particularly on a Windows box) unless you know
what you're doing.

Cheers,
Warwick

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk