[Gllug] starting X

Stig Brautaset stig at brautaset.org
Wed Jul 18 21:07:19 UTC 2001

Alex Hudson <home at alexhudson.com> writes:

> On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 06:13:51PM +0100, Mark Preston wrote:
> > The usage is still 100% on /
> > so I guess I'll have to find some other files to delete.
>
> Yep. Remember, though, it's not talking about space on / - it's the space on
> one partition which has filled up. This partition happens to hold /.
> However, if (this is an example!) /dev/hda3 held /home, and was only 50%
> full, although / would be full, /home would not, even though it's logically
> part of /.
>
> Partitioning of disks is fairly evil, and I personally don't buy the
> separate /, /home, /usr, /opt, etc. without good reasons. Generally, I only
> have two partitions - / and swap. It's sometimes useful to partition
> further, but I don't think the arguments can be made for the general case.

A /home is usefull in case you screw up big time and want to install
from ground up. your personal settings/files need not be deleted. Or,
if you want to run several distro's to contrast and compare, then
having a /home is usefull since you do not have to have two separate
home directories.

Cheers, Stig
--
 22:05:17 up  3:53,  4 users,  load average: 0.04, 0.04, 0.06

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk