[Gllug] mySQL

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sat Jul 7 13:30:35 UTC 2001

"Jackson, Harry" wrote:

> Hi all
>
> The first thing I need is an idiots guide to mySQL specifically the
> mySQLManager and how to get data into tables from a csv file. When this is
> done I will then get Apache and PHP. I have got the mySQL guide but I think
> that it has Unix in mind.
> Question 1.
>
>         How do I import the data from the csv into a new table (do I have to
> create the table first or can mySQL import and create on the fly)

Download MyODBC, and when you've created your database in MySQL, create
an Access database with ODBC links to all the tables. Then just use the
Access frontend to import the data.

>         I have tried a couple of Queries with mySQL using mySQLManager and
> the output did not make much sense.

The manager is more for administration really. You can easily write
custom stuff using the Perl DBI/DBD modules.

> Please remember I am using NT and that will never change because it is a
> work machine.

It's easy to work with MySQL from NT. I have a number of surveys on my
web site at work - data is entered through HTML forms, a CGI sticks it
into MySQL, and users look at it through linked Access databases. Works
brilliantly...

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk