[Gllug] basic rpm problem.

jim smith jim at xoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 3 15:49:55 UTC 2001

>so I did a search for libbz2.so.1 on rpmfind.net and did got the following
>message after trying to install the libbz2.s0.2 package:
>
>$ rpm -U libbzip2_1-1.0.1-10mdk.i586.rpm
>
>or
>
>$ rpm -i libbzip2_1-1.0.1-10mdk.i586.rpm
>
>only packages with major numbers <= 3 are supported by this version of RPM
>error: libbzip2_1-1.0.1-10mdk.i586.rpm cannot be installed:
>
>I seem to have got back to this chicken/egg situation again.  I am probably
>doing something wrong, but what?

i had a similar problem with linuxppc and ximian yesterday: the
solution (for me) was to get the compat_bzip library and install that
over the top. then it worked fine.

mark you ximian broke sound support and the cd-rom automounter, but
that's another story...

jim smith
07961 319040
Sometimes I wish someone would port grep to everyday life.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk