[Gllug] KDE or Gnome

Bruce Richardson brichardson at lineone.net
Tue Jul 10 19:44:08 UTC 2001

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 07:03:26PM +0100, David Irvine wrote:
> I used to used KDE, then i tried (ximian/helix) gnome and i havent went
> back.

If I had to use one of them, I'd use Gnome.  I ought to like KDE - it
does offer more traditional X things like single-click and X cursors -
but I can't stand the look and feel, which is more cutesy and day-glo
than anything bar Windows XP.  It's like being trapped in Mr Chuckle's
Kiddie Fun Factory and I get a headache after a few minutes.

You can't change it with a theme - KDE theme's just change the window
dressing.  I suppose Gnome isn't that themable either but it's less in
your face and you can bring the wm (whichever wm) to the fore, so that
you hardly know you're running Gnome but still get the benifits.

I also find Gnome much more configurable.  I hate the Windows-like start
bar they both offer, so when I was using Gnome I created some vertical
tile-only panels which gave my desktop a WindowMaker feel (Mmmm...
WindowMaker!).

That said, KDE is definitely more suited to the newbie pining for
Windows.  Especially on Mandrake which really has the GUI config tied
very well into KDE.

As it is, my tastes have become ever more austere and now I just run a
bunch of xterms in Ion.

--
Bruce

I see a mouse.  Where?  There, on the stair.  And its clumsy wooden
footwear makes it easy to trap and kill.  -- Harry Hill