[Gllug] Duel booting the saga continues

George F. Saxby george at gogointernet.co.uk
Sat Jul 14 16:52:37 UTC 2001

On Saturday 14 July 2001 16:24, your missive said : -
 > On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 06:11:43PM +0100, George F. Saxby wrote:
 > >  > Put the 2.4 kernel on the floppy and boot from that - when that
 > >  > doesn't work, then blame the kernel.>
 > >
 > >  er that is why he put the old 2.2.-????  on

the 2.4.2-2boot  labled  kernel did not work. Mind you the end "boot"
suggests that this is wrong anyway BUT there was no other Kernel on the hard
disk.

 > I don't understand that paragraph at all. From what you said previously,
 > it seemed you could not boot a 2.4 kernel off the hard drive.

Yup it doesn't work from the hard disk or when it was put on the floppy

Booting 2.2 from floppy does _not_ prove the 2.4 kernel is at fault...
	er well if that does not what does? 2.2 works from the floppy but 2.4 doesnt
from floppy or hard disk

 2.2 onthe boot disk points at /dev/hda2 and it boots fine
2.4 booting from the h/d get the dh splash asking you want "dos or linux" go
lilnux and it will run vmlinuz and back to splash scren asking you dos /
linux  pick dos and windows works fine.

 > What 'boot disk'? Are you saying you're booting from floppy to chain the
 > OS loader in hda2? yup covered that para 1

 What actually happens when you boot Linux? see last para before this.

 > > 	I wish I knew how to copy the floppy "go faster bits" that work to
 > > the hard disk then maybe it would work.
 >
 > I'm not aware of floppies having 'go faster bits' :)
 since the fscking thing is dead without the floppy, the bits on the floppy
make it go

--
cu
george