[Gllug] OT: Hard drive failure

ChrisJS at aol.com ChrisJS at aol.com
Tue Jul 31 22:11:19 UTC 2001

Hi,
Sorry to go slightly off topic, but there's more technical know-how on here
than most other places...
My 20gig Maxtor hard drive died today with 3,500 Mp3s on it. I know MP3s
aren't the most important things ever, but that's a collection I've been
working on with a 33.6 modem for three years or so. I'm quite keen to save
the data if at all possible.
I've contacted Maxtor support, but they said it would be a couple of days for
a reply... I was just wondering how likely it is that I could save the
contents of the drive; On bootup, it makes choking noises and slight beeping
and isn't recognised as being there by BIOS. When this kind of thing happens,
is there any chance of the contents being intact and recoverable ?
Cheers,

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk