[Gllug] Editors

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Mon Jul 30 16:36:13 UTC 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: <home at alexhudson.com>
To: <gllug at linux.co.uk>
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2001 5:04 PM
Subject: Re: [Gllug] Editors

> On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 04:47:08PM +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> > This is irrelevant.  RIP means there doesn't have to be any question
> > of involvement in a crime.
>
> I don't think it does. RIP gives _no_ new powers of interception of
> material. You need a warrant to get material. There has to be evidence to
> support the warrant.

OK, now say that you are innocent, yet you are suspected by the police of a
crime and are asked to hand over the key to a locked box they believe
contains evidence.  You have lost the key but cannot prove that you have not
just hidden it.  Now you are guilty of a crime and can go to jail.

--civil_liberties;

Anyway, If I have norty thoughts re. rubber chickens*, what right does
anyone have to that information especially when it is in in my head?  None.
So if you take it a bit further and the imagine the locked box has a
combination code which exists only in your head.  This is therefore your
information and you should not have to divulge it if you don't want to.  The
right to silence gave you this right.  If you go down the path of 'I have
nothing to hide so what are you afraid of' then you could end up with the
authorities making everyone wear mind reading headsets because it saves the
authorities having to bother asking you to divulge the information they
require.  Or something.

will.

*This doesn't mean I do though ;-)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk