[Gllug] Partition debate

Bruce Richardson brichardson at lineone.net
Fri Jul 20 17:49:35 UTC 2001

On 7/20/01, 2:43:52 PM, Nathan Matthews <Nathan.Matthews at caplin.com>
wrote regarding RE: [Gllug] Partition debate :

> Something I dont understand, arent filesystem quotas now in place on
things
> like ext2, in which case separate partitions would be unneeded?

A quota is something you apply to an ext2 partition.  So very much
needed, if you want to do quotas.

> > partition is a good idea. Then if it decides to use up the whol
> > 'disc', your system doesn't fall over because / is full !

> same goes for mail/logs/wwwoffle/usershomedirs/ftpincomming
> but with squid you can set the maximum disk usage

Assuming it behaves.  A random bug may send it (or any other
application) filling up your disk.  Netscape, no stranger to bugs in
much the same way that Jeffrey Archer is no stranger to lies, has on
several occasions decided to do this to me - but since /home is a
separate partition, this is not catastrophic.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk