[Gllug] Excel spreadsheets

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Thu Jul 26 12:38:21 UTC 2001

---------------------------------------
Message from:-
Tim Clarke  (tim at seacon.co.uk)
Seacon Holdings plc Group, London, U.K.
Telephone: +44 (0)1474 320000
      Fax: +44 (0)1474 329946
---------------------------------------

Help !

I have searched high and low for a linux/unix program (preferably in C)
that will take a file in Excel 'native' format as input and spit out the
file contents in 'csv' format  (ie the equivalent of opening the file in
Excel and using the 'saveas' option to save in comma separated format).

I have been unable to find anything.   The nearest thing appeared to be
'catdoc', but the write-up on this does not appear to fit the bill.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

Tim

PS:  use of excel files is not our choice  - we get the wretched things
by email and have to ftp them internally to a windoze box, convert them on
that to csv, and ftp them back to the unix box for insertion into a Cobol
'database' !

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk