[Gllug] Editors

Bruce Richardson brichardson at lineone.net
Mon Jul 30 18:14:38 UTC 2001

On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 11:13:56PM +0100, Tom Gilbert wrote:
> I don't give a toss about your date of birth. I _do_ give a toss if you
> have pictures of my 9yr-old step daughter on your hard drive.

There ought to be an extension to Godwin's law to cover that one.  "You
oppose this law - ooh, you evil child molester (or defender of)".

1.  I don't accept that RIP will be effective against crime - clueful
criminals will be as hard to catch as ever and clueless ones will keep
on sending computers stacked with child-porn to PC World.

2.  The fact that a measure might catch some criminals (not for a minute
accepting that this one will) is not in itself a justification.
Embedding tracker tags in the spinal column of every citizen would be
effective against crime, so obviously anybody arguing against it is an
evil defender of paedophiles.  You have to balance the positives against
the potential for harm and RIP fails that test, IMO.

--
Bruce

What would Edward Woodward do?