[Gllug] Pooling talent

Simon Furey simon at cadre.tv
Tue Jul 17 11:17:56 UTC 2001

Just so as there is no misunderstanding I am an agent and therefore I do
have an axe to grind on this in some ways but in others I have seen all the
shortcomings and have unique insight into this idea.

A long time ago (ie 2-3 years & b4 I got into linux) some close sa friends
of mine were always "banging on" about Linux taking over the world and M$
being crap and how they could make a killing offering a installation and
support of small and medium small business environments.

I looked into this with them and they both wanted to do this we decided to
make the dream a reality I setup some oppurtunities for installation and
support and guess what was let down the moment a contract got in the way.  I
have no problem with this as at the time the consulting was never going to
replace contracting for them as income but it meant it was also not worth
while progressing with.

The final problem with this is if you don't know how to do it you don't
understand the problems or what else you need to take into account.  In such
areas I know that fixed price is preferred by the client and I suggest that
the specing of a job by someone unqualified in an area will result in either
disputes because there is a lot more work than previously thought or a time
and materials charge that vastly exceeds client expectation.

These are fundemental issues and I say to those professionals amongst you
out there the M$ cowboys in the network and support area have earnt their
reputation from over charging not delivering and affecting business
continuity by jumping into situations without proper understanding or
planning you risk doing the same.