[Gllug] 12 year olds will rule the world

john.hearns at framestore.co.uk john.hearns at framestore.co.uk
Thu Jul 19 10:55:10 UTC 2001

There is a very perceptive article in the G2 section
of the Guardian today.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,3604,523818,00.html

Based on the case of the 15 year old who made half a million
pounds on the stock market, by planting fake tips on the Net.

Basically it says that the world will soon be ruled by
twelve year olds. Aha! Bill will THEN know what it feels
like to be old :-)

Anyway, the premise is that the Net allows you to be anonymous
(we knwo this), that children can now masquerade as adults,
and that the power of professions, like law and medicine,
whcih were based on access to exclusive knowledge, are being
eroded.

One disturbing comment from Silicon Valley companies being
miffed that employment laws preventing them from hiring children.
I think that topic is worthy of a bit of debate.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk