[Gllug] Problems installing strange things

Paul Nasrat pnasrat at uk.now.com
Thu Jul 12 09:40:02 UTC 2001

On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 10:28:48AM +0100, Davies Sue wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm hoping someone can help.  I'm trying to install what I believe to be a
> Jinitiator, that's what it said on the download site anyway.  Oracle don't
> advertise a Jinitiator for Linux but Netscape had one.  The problem is it's
> extensions are rpm.bin and I'm at a loss on here as to how to install it.
> It's probably one of the most simple things but I can't find any information
> on it or work it out.  I'd be grateful for any help you can give

It's probably a shell script with a zipped rpm in it (that's how Sun do
their java rpm) so you have to agree to the license.

Quick sanity check head foo.rpm.bin

(You may want to use strings as well - just in case!)

You probably just need to do

chmod 755 foo.rpm.bin ; ./foo.rpm.bin

Say yes nicely or disagree then it'll nicely unpack the rpm for you and
you can install it.

Note you can use head/tail and strings to find the start of the package
if you really want :)

Paul

--
"we apologise for any inconvenience" - God's Last Message to His Creation
Courtesy of Douglas Adams

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk