[Gllug] exim: keeping copies of outgoing mail

Jim Cheetham jim at gonzul.org
Tue Jul 3 09:08:42 UTC 2001

 From the Exim FAQ, almost what you want (well, a good start, anyway)

http://www.exim.org/FAQ.html#SEC358
Q9811: I want to make a copy of outgoing messages to a specific file for each
        user in a specific directory, using a "save" command in a system
filter.
        How can I arrange for Exim to write to these files under the correct
        UID/GID?

A9811: You need to set up a special transport and tell Exim to use it for
        file deliveries from the system filter. Add the following setting to
        your configuration:
          message_filter_file_transport = copy_transport
Then define copy_transport like this
          copy_transport:
            driver = appendfile
            delivery_date_add
            envelope_to_add
            user = ${local_part:$sender_address}
This assumes that you want to run the delivery under the uid associated
        with the local part of the sender address. Alternatively, you could
just
        use user=exim and do all the writing under the same UID/GID.

Basically, the magic is to create a new transport that acts as a filter,
and specify the file name it writes to carefully.

At 04:32 02/07/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I want to get exim to automatically keep certain outgoing mail in a
>(regular expression defined) directory structure - kind of like procmail
>but for outgoing stuff. Can someone tell me of an easy way to do this
>(maybe I can simply get exim to duplicate all outgoing mail and send one
>to procmail?)
>
>Cheers for ideas - I'm not a great expert with exim so I thought it best
>to ask for suggestions prior to doing it the first way that comes in to
>my head later today :)
>
>--jcm
>
>--

Quick wafting zephyrs vex bold Jim