[Gllug] unsubscribe

Bruce Richardson brichardson at lineone.net
Fri Jul 6 23:54:31 UTC 2001

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 03:10:37PM -0700, David Irvine wrote:
> --- Gordon Joly <gordon.joly at pobox.com> wrote:
> > I also feel that gllug is a little overloaded.
> >
> > Ho hum...
> >
> > Gordo.

There's been more serious technical discussion on this list in the last
little while than for some time, and *now* you grumble, Gordon?  Not all
of that technical discussion will be of interest to you but it's
churlish to complain when other people are asking questions and having
them answered.

> Perhaps we could have glug-help which is strictly for
> linux-related help such as - how do you get X to do
> this? etc. and have a glug-general which is for more
> general discussion, to be a member of glug you would
> be implicitly be a member of glug-help but if you only
> sub to glug-help you miss out on the wonderful
> discussions.
>
> In short - 2 lists:
> glug-general - general linux/GNO/OSS discussion etc
> Glug-help    - GNU/Linux help only.

This was raised a while back but never went anywhere and I really don't
see it working.  This list is a community.  All the lists that work have
some kind of community spirit and that won't happen without a certain
amount of chat as social lubrication.

If a separate help-only list is set-up, I bet you almost nobody will be
on it - and if it did attract numbers they would eventually start
chatting.  Human nature.

Fact is, the people who chat on this list are mostly also the people
who provide the solid technical answers, lend resources for meetings,
help organise meetings (or geeknics), talk at meetings, help out at
stalls and so on.

The people who complain mostly aren't.

If anyone feels the traffic is too great all they have to do is make
intelligent use of procmail and the message-scoring features of their
mail client.  <irony class="heavy">There are plenty of people on the
list who will be happy to give help and advice on this.</irony>

No offence meant to you, David.  I know you were only suggesting an
answer to an issue already raised.

--
Bruce

Bitterly it mathinketh me, that I spent mine wholle lyf in the lists
against the ignorant.  -- Roger Bacon, "Doctor Mirabilis"