[Gllug] Website developement

Wulf Forrester-Barker wulf.f-b at uhl.nhs.uk
Mon Jul 16 09:01:14 UTC 2001

When approaching website design, I tend to think in terms of 'container' and 'information'. The container is the overall layout which produces the look and feel of the site. Generally, you can split this into two halves - top and bottom (or top and right hand sides of the page, left and bottom sides of the page).

I like using dynamic pages (so that I can slip in elements like current date or whatever) and use either PHP on Linux platforms or VBScript in .asp pages on Windows platforms. My approach is basically the same though - each page of content would look similar to this:

<?php
include("./includes/pagewriter.php");
writepagetop("Page Title Here");
?>

<?php
writepagebottom();
?>

The page writer include file contains both of the user functions needed to write the page, and any supplemental tools they need (such as functions to pick random quotes, write menus, etc). Gradually, I'm starting to use more and more XML as well... for some of the stuff I've done at work, a whole website consists of a couple of pages, which process and display information stored in a set of XML pages.

Alternatively, if you're looking for a way of generating static pages, how about using the sed stream editor. You can write your pages as simple markup, maybe with few unique snippets to search and replace for. sed can write a chunk of code at the top (using 1i\ for insert before the first line) and at the bottom (using $a\ to append to the end). Using a script, you can run it across a whole set of directories, making converted copies of each file and moving these to another location, from whence you can upload.

Quick and simple...

Wulf

>>> freemadi at yahoo.co.uk 14/07/2001 9:58:14 pm >>>
list,

I have a couple of questions.

I have recently, as part of some NVQ avoidance work, been redsigning my
web site.

http://www.alug.org.uk/freemadi/
or if the DNS is fixed
http://freemadi.alug.org.uk/  [1]

Now I have spotted lots of mistakes due to me creating it when I should
be sleeping, as each page is almost identical, each page needs the same
alterations to be made. But each page is non Identicle enough for it to
be a pain in the arse to do.

So I was wondering if anyone on the list can think of a way to create a
site with lots of pages, like this one, where the design can be changed
without changing each file by hand, whilst keeping it looking as
similiar to what it does at the moment. And whilst keeping the html on
the server static, so I could create it dynamically on my machine and
then upload it.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks

D / Bascule

PS Does anyone have a copy of the specifcation for the 19 inch rack
standard?

[1] Yes I know about the large quantities of spelling mystakes

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk

wulf.f-b at uhl.nhs.uk

DISCLAIMER:

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual and
not necessarily the Trust. This email and any files transmitted with
it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual
or entity to whom they are addressed. Any unauthorised disclosure of
the information contained in this e-mail is strictly prohibited.

The contents of this email may contain software viruses which could
damage your own computer system. Whilst we have taken every
reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, we cannot accept liability
for any damage which you sustain as a result of software viruses.
You should therefore carry out your own virus checks before opening
the attachment.

If you have received this email in error please notify the sender or
postmaster at uhl.nhs.uk. Please then delete this email.

University Hospital Lewisham
Tel: 020 8333 3000
Web: www.uhl.ac.uk