[Gllug] basic rpm problem.

Bruce Richardson brichardson at lineone.net
Tue Jul 3 16:00:50 UTC 2001

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 02:49:41PM +0100, will wrote:
> I am using mandrake 7.2.  Any ideas/suggestions?  Anyone *thinking* of
> mentioning Debians superior package management implementation will get a
> free 'doze installation CD.

;) As it happens, apt is also available for Mandrake (development
version).  That and urpm show Mandrake having moved from being a copy of
Red Hat to something IMO more advanced.

Be interesting to see the play-off between apt and urpm, assuming they
are relatively equivalent.  apt is designed to be able to work with any
package system and also has mindshare (as in everybody is sick of
hearing about it;)), urpm (afaik) only works with rpm but then most
distributions use rpm.

Patrick Volkerding won't pay any attention whatever happens;)  But then
technological diversity is a strengh of Linux, IMO, not a weakness.

--
Bruce

Anyone who slaps a 'this page is best viewed with Browser X' label on a
Web page appears to be yearning for the bad old days, before the Web...
		-- Tim Berners-Lee