[Gllug] Government asks for comments

Richard Hillesley richard at linuxuser.co.uk
Sun Jul 8 19:43:34 UTC 2001

> It may be time to point out that mozilla now supports client side
> certificates so all that microsoft stuff may nolonger be valid. I don't
> know what the problem was though so it may have been something different.

the background problem is proprietary PKI and Java implementation.
They needed to be persuaded of other methods of authentication
for www.gateway.gov.uk , as the New Zealand government was.
The certification as such is not the problem.

> In any case they still have javascript that won't let me in with mozilla,
> but that could presumably be fixed fairly easilly if mozilla does infact
> now work.

they have been promising to fix that one for months :-)
It is, after all, a five minute job, as hundreds of people have pointed
out to them, and there is no reason why anyone should be denied entry to the
site.

Rumour has it that there is plenty of unhappiness within the
gov at being used as a marketing tool for the beast. But change
will only happen if people demand it.

Cheers,
Richard Hillesley

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk