[Gllug] Re: [OxLUG] C function strcasecmp

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Sun Jul 22 19:43:34 UTC 2001

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Alex Hudson stipulated:
> On 22 Jul 2001, Nix wrote:
>
>> This is target-specific. GCC will rewrite adding and subtracting 32 into
>> bitwise logicals, but it won't, on some architectures (e.g. i586)
>> rewrite multiplications by 2 into shifts, because the shifts can
>> actually be slower.
>
> Are you talking about the P4 here?

Er, no, I'm getting my facts reversed. I've done that over and over
again today; must be hay fever.

*selfLART*

>                                    Shifts should be _much_ faster than
> multiplies on most Intel chips,

I'm not sure *what* chip I was thinking of. I'll have to check the GCC
sources :)

--
`> You never need to use # for anything, either?
 Not to date, but # would suffice if I did.'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk