[Gllug] Geek Meet Tomorrow?

Dean dean.wilson3 at virgin.net
Mon Jul 30 13:35:28 UTC 2001

On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 11:47:04PM +0100, Warwick Harvey wrote:
> as a result have missed a couple of events I might otherwise have gone to if
> I'd found out earlier.

Just think of all the money you've saved :)

> Perhaps it would be useful to have a separate list
> for events?  Particularly since they often seem to be organised at the last
> minute.

There is a GLLUG announce list for official meets, the problem with the
Saturday meets and stuff like that is they are not official. Its just that
if a number of people are in the same area that week we might meet up.
Martin did set up a list for hosting those kind of announcements but we
always do it as such a last minute thing its hard to announce. And for any
events that are planned send them to me for the LCN <plug plug>

> While I'm at it, I might as well touch on another point raised in another
> thread, regarding events and newbies and so on.  I confess I've not been to
> many GLLUG/Lonix events.

> Part of this is because, as somebody who consumes
> no alcohol, "Hey let's go down the pub and drink beer!" doesn't sound so
> appealing...

I'm tee-total and i still go to Lonix and GLLUG's, in some cases its the
only way to win an argument, let them get semi-plastered and then get
technical ;)

> Do any of you guys ever do anything else?  :)
We have on rare occasions been known to go for a curry but i don't get
involved in that kind of stuff.

> was, for instance, the Geeknic recently, but I missed that because I showed
> up late --- by which time you guys had already retired to the pub.  :)  I
> rest my case...)

That had mitigating circumstances... It pissed down so we fled for cover.
Honest.

If there is a desire to hold an event somewhere other than a pub (Blasphemy
;)) does anyone have any suggestions?

	Dean
--
Profanity is the one language all programmers understand
   --- Anon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk