[Gllug] FW: UK2.NET (relion.net) - CODE RED WORM WARNING

Axel Segebrecht alexander at smatrix.de
Tue Jul 31 10:39:40 UTC 2001

just received this from uk2.net :)

oh my...

--
======================================
UK2: Code Red worm WARNING
======================================

BRACE YOURSELVES

August 1st Midnight will see an attack
of the entire Internet that has not been
seen before, in form of the Code Red worm.
UK2.Net engineers are working against the
clock to prevent this attack, aided by our
upstream bandwidth providers and, more
generally, by the entire Internet community,
but this is a race against time and a race
that we may well lose. UK2.Net systems may
be swamped by network traffic generated by
infected Microsoft IIS servers, which will
mean your website appears to be offline and
your email does not get through. We are
however standing by to resolve the attack
tonight.

Let us make it quite clear: the worm infects
only Microsoft IIS web servers, which have a
well-documented history of security exploits
and vulnerabilities. If you are using an IIS
server, either on a hosted machine or via
a third-party ISP, we would strongly advise
you to shut it down and replace it by an
Apache solution (http://www.apache.org/).

Some reports suggest that already 300,000
IIS servers are infected, which should once
and for all serve as a lesson of why we
suggest you should avoid using Microsoft IIS
for professional web hosting. Rest assured as
we do not host any IIS servers as we are a
complete Unix host; no servers have been
compromised. And please, call your web host
to ensure that your web sites and domains are
not hosted on a Microsoft IIS server.

Latest news articles

http://news.ft.com/ft/gx.cgi/ftc?pagename=View&c=Article&cid=FT3N80ZLSPC
http://europe.cnn.com/2001/TECH/internet/07/30/code.red/index.html