[Gllug] What is a hash?

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 26 07:17:23 UTC 2001

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Warwick Harvey said:
> Erm, I thought the "hash" character was #.

No, that's the mesh (according to Intercal) or the octothorpe (thanks to
Don Macpherson, who invented it, and an Olympic athlete; see
<http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-oct1.htm>).

;)

> I also thought (though I'm not a perl programmer) that associative arrays in
> perl were called hashes because they were implemented using a hash table (no
> idea whether they are or not, I just assumed so :).

Exactly so. A silly name, they should have been called `maps', IMHO,
because that's what they *do*.

--
`It's all about bossing computers around. Users have to say "please".
Programmers get to say "do what I want NOW or the hard disk gets it".'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk