[Gllug] starting X

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Wed Jul 18 20:37:34 UTC 2001

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 06:13:51PM +0100, Mark Preston wrote:
> The usage is still 100% on /
> so I guess I'll have to find some other files to delete.

Yep. Remember, though, it's not talking about space on / - it's the space on
one partition which has filled up. This partition happens to hold /.
However, if (this is an example!) /dev/hda3 held /home, and was only 50%
full, although / would be full, /home would not, even though it's logically
part of /.

Partitioning of disks is fairly evil, and I personally don't buy the
separate /, /home, /usr, /opt, etc. without good reasons. Generally, I only
have two partitions - / and swap. It's sometimes useful to partition
further, but I don't think the arguments can be made for the general case.

This still leaves you with a disk space problem. Firstly, use du (disk usage
- I recommend 'du -H [dir]', where dir is the directory you want the size
of. Find out where all that space is going. If you can, remove some software
you don't need (apt-get remove quake-x11, etc...). Otherwise ... buy a
bigger hd :(

Cheers,

Alex.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk