[Gllug] Building Intranet Kiosks

Jim Cheetham jim at gonzul.org
Wed Jul 11 12:15:31 UTC 2001

At 12:50 11/07/2001 +0100, Wulf wrote:
>Jim <jim at gonzul.org> wrote:
> > application selection (for example, Opera has a
> > very good kiosk mode to it's browser) but because
>
>Where's the kiosk mode in Opera? I've found mouse gestures and full screen
>mode while fiddling

Mouse gestures are great ... however I wish there was an open standard for
application mouse gesture semantics. Actually, I wish more applications had
them in the first place :-)
Full screen mode is good fun, and combine it with style sheets with @media
presentation, and you have a presentation package (qv magicpoint and (pah)
PowerPoint)

But Kiosk mode is probably best to be invoked at startup, on the command
line ...
Kiosk mode http://www.opera.com/support/mastering/sysadmin/#kiosk

You can use /k (or /kioskMode)
added to the command line to initiate "kiosk" mode. Kiosk mode is simply a
shortcut for implementing the following six action switches:
/NoChangeFullScreen
/NoChangeMenu
/NoChangeButtons
/NoSysMenu
/NoMinMaxButtons
/NoKeyboardShortcuts
Using /noExit is an additional option. It totally
prevents the browser from being closed from the system user interface. We
recommend you
to use it only when appropriate, because to kill is your only way out.
These previously mentioned switches may also be
useful in kiosk or presentation mode.
/e
/noWin
/noSplashScreen