[Gllug] Re: [OxLUG] C function strcasecmp

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Sun Jul 22 13:44:46 UTC 2001

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, SteveC uttered the following:
>> BTW, adding and subtracting 32 -- bleugh. That's what bitwise logical
>> operators are for :-)
>
> Agreed... but even so, wouldn't the compiler figure that out and rewrite
> it? I looked around the gcc website and couldn't find docs that said what
> it does :-/

This is target-specific. GCC will rewrite adding and subtracting 32 into
bitwise logicals, but it won't, on some architectures (e.g. i586)
rewrite multiplications by 2 into shifts, because the shifts can
actually be slower.

(Disclaimer: Fuzzy memory mode is on.)

--
`> You never need to use # for anything, either?
 Not to date, but # would suffice if I did.'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk