[Gllug] UKUUG saturday

SteveC steve at fractalus.com
Tue Jul 3 11:41:29 UTC 2001

ah well I thought I would run with the baton and do a little bit on what I
saw of saturday...

Woke up early and wandered around the deserted streets of manchester till
I could get into the canteen and have my bowl with one weetabix in it
(don't accuse umist of wanting to fatten its students up)... then wandered
down to the first talk.

yep, we got the big-endian talk again. I pretty enjoyed all the manchester
birth of computing stuff, we heard some interesting Turing anecdotes,
pictures of valves and stuff

Linux on laptops wasn't really aimed at us I think - bloke who did the
HOWTO talked about buying a long life battery and a big screen, that kind
of thing...

at 11:30 Luke didn't talk about samba but wandered off into RPC territory
which I havn't touched before. The details kind of went over my head a
bit, not knowing a thing about it. But hes a smart guy and hes pretty
worked up about it and made for a good talk. So I will have to go and read
and get worked up too I guess.

At this point the lectures split into two streams...

We left that theatre and wandered over to another on KDE by David Faure -
the same as he did at OxLUG on the ins and outs of kde but with all the
developers in the audience it got twisted toward the techie side of
things... Funky XML interface stuff etc

Michael Meeks next spoke of GNOME... very entertaining talk that veered
all over the place and ended up with cool screen shots of ximian type
stuff. Free ximian bonobo monkey toys were distributed to those that could
elbow their way to the front, along with stickers!

Christian Egli's talk on Python/glade RAD was very cool. He did a very
cool live demo of building an app in python with glade linked to some SQL
db and got it all running... the point was to compete with VB&delphi the
*nix way

I next saw the talk on fractal generation with the GIMP/MathMap which was
kind of interesting but more of a "look, ain't it cool" demo rather than a
real look at it...

At this point I got knackered and buggered off to locate the new statue of
Alan Turing. It was surprisingly close, but I still wandered all over the
place to find it since I only had an arial picture and didn't print a map
:-) Its bronze.. hes sitting on a bench in a park with an apple in his
hand... symbol of lots of things. Big board behind him saying "Turing did
all this cool stuff but no computer company gives a toss to help us put up
a statue"

Then I wandered round a bit more.. and fell asleep back in halls...

Anyway thanks to alasdair & friends for getting it all set up and so on,
it was well worth it. Cheers to AMD for my funky pen-knife thingy and
subsidising the meal... And to IBM for sposoring the whole thing...

And my train was on time too!

have fun,

SteveC steve at fractalus.com fractalus.com/steve stevecoast at hushmail.com

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk