[Gllug] Re: XNS and .NET

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Wed Jul 11 01:39:11 UTC 2001

Axel Segebrecht wrote:

> In the near future, we will have one "id" that carries our details
> and if one isn't paranoid enough - even ones credit cards. So rather
> than sending out notifications to everyone about the latest address
> or change of email providers (whatever), one has something dubbed
> "agent" (an alias) that points to the details.

No "we" won't because I for one won't be involved with such a system as
a user until I feel assured that it is being run properly.

> Of course, it's still in it's infancy (both, .NET/XP and XNS)

...and it'll stay there mostly (apart from "new" PC sales) because
customers won't like the way M$ are starting to treat them even more
like insignificant trash than they have ever done before. Even *if* I
didn't think Gates were one step removed from the Borg Queen herself I
would not be comfortable with them controlling whether or not I am to be
allowed to modify what's under the hood of my PC - I also don't like the
idea of them starting to go just one step too far with this obsessive
compulsive licensing BS that they're up to these days. Fair enough they
decide to spend about a zillion squid on holographic CDs and "anti
piracy" measures but it's quite another thing to screw over all their
customers to continue their war on a relative minority of their users.

Besides, we must ask ourselves:

	* Does this M$ trend remind you of drug laws around the world?
	* Wouldn't they rather people used a "pirated" copy of their
	  Operating System (thus getting in to vendor lockin) than a
	  copy of a GNU/Linux based system where they have little hope
	  of getting many people shelling out for Office XP?

> we need to sit back and wait until ISPs take up on it.

Perhaps we should be looking to make sure that they don't?

> and by 2002 there will be no more W98 or W2k

Rubbish. Many offices are looking at Windows installations lasting 3-5
years before a replacement is installed. Some places haven't changed
from Windows 3.11 yet so I don't see how you can expect them to drop
everything that works and jump in the deep end with XP.

Whatever happened to "leaving it a while after it comes out just in
case" anyway? Many people still won't consider a new Operating System
product from M$ until it's about a year old...

> Why should I sign up now? Well, it's FREE for the first 1mio
> subscribers and in the future you will have to "pay" $12.99 to
> register your unique "alias". Although I believe it's not gonna
> take off if they make us pay for it - maybe I misunderstood... .

Goody good...and there was me thinking it might be Free.

--jcm

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk