[Gllug] sync,sync, init 0

john.hearns at framestore.co.uk john.hearns at framestore.co.uk
Thu Jul 12 16:21:59 UTC 2001

Simon Stewart wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 04:35:24PM +0000, t.clarke wrote:
> >
> > I thought init did its own syncing when shutting down !
>
> The sysadmin at my university thought otherwise, and there's no
> mention of sync in the init man page. It might just be a case of
> "better safe than fscked" though.

This has the makings of a good thread. I sense some
evil shutdown methods on the horizon...

Going off at a slight tangent, does anyone know how
sync performs when you are running under a virtual machine?

Showing my age, I did a lot of work on IBM mainframes,
running VM/CMS - ie Virtual Machine, running lots of
instances of CMS. The user has a virtual CMS operating system,
and is unaware of all the other users on a machine.
That has of course now become popular running Linux - many
virtual Linux boxes running on a big mainframe.

Any of our filesystem gurus know exactly what sync means
in this case? I guess its the same as any other call -
at some point it must be trapped and translated into a
'real' system call to write real data.
SO what's the shutdown procedure on a virtual Linux session
on a mainframe - anyone know for sure?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk