[Gllug] another question, more linux related though...

home at alexhudson.com home at alexhudson.com
Sun Jul 29 17:16:17 UTC 2001

On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 04:40:47PM +0100, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> Most mtas can be configured to deliver mail to a shell script or pipe.
> The mail can then be processed any way you like.

.forward, as a simple example.

> The spam reaching this list should give you a clue about that.  E-mail
> contains no mechanism for guarantueeing the authenticity of a message or
> its sender.  Defacing websites would be child's play if all you had to
> do was send an e-mail with forged headers.

You could use gpg and a set of certs, that would do the job.

> Any ISP making such a prodedure publicly available might as well paint a
> target on itself saying "Crack me here".

Or even privately available :(

> ftp is simple, immediate, requires the user to authenticate and can be
> restricted to a specific range of valid ip addresses.  It isn't perfect
> but the above scenario makes it look like Fort Knox in comparison.

My preference for uploading to sites is rsync over ssh or vpn or somesuch -
I know people who use CVS too, although I've never really thought of that as
a hugely usable method.

Cheers,

Alex.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk