[Gllug] linux and floppy disks

Chris Ball chris at cpan.org
Sun Jul 1 21:26:09 UTC 2001

On Sun, Jul 01, 2001 at 05:14:07PM -0400, Ian Norton wrote:
> I was working on an idea for linux boxen in schools, one stumbling block i
> could see is the mounting and unmounting of floppies. is there any way to not
> need to do this? maybe mounting the floppy with 0 caching? i dunno.

Hum. Well, obviously nothing knows when a new floppy hits the drive.

Personally, I'd be tempted to write up a little gtk app involving a big
picture of a disk on the desktop; with some mount/umount code, and maybe
a gmc called on the mount directory - in that way, it's analogised to
double-clicking a 'Shortcut to A:' icon, so it's understandable, or at
least Not As Bad. Sort of. Using zero caching wouldn't help you much,
and would make the eventual access Really Slow.

Another (bad!) idea would be Sick Things with things like a proxy
/dev/fd0 and kernel hooks and attempted reads every five seconds or
so. But I don't do Sick Things. Often. :-)

Hrm. Anyway. Some ideas of varying simplicity and usefulness..

~C.

--
Chris Ball.
chris at cpan.org || http://printf.net/