PWS on Win9x (was Re: [Gllug] M$ Technet?)

Wulf Forrester-Barker wulf.f-b at uhl.nhs.uk
Tue Jul 31 14:25:30 UTC 2001

Actually, I think it is Personal Web Server, but you're right that it is a stripped down version of IIS. At home I use Win98 most of the time (yes, I know, boo, hiss, heretic... but I'm not yet ready to do away with all my Windows software and my attempts to install Win4Lin 3 were a dismal failure... ;-) with PWS. Some pages run with VBScript code and some with PHP (which I installed on Win98 after my Win4Lin attempts came to naught), and all in all it works pretty well.

I think it works pretty well on a machine used for personal development work, and switched off overnight. I wouldn't want to be using it for my day job but it doesn't do too badly. It probably would have made a big difference to me if I'd realised that I could run a webserver on my home machine a couple of years ago rather than just toying around with sites made up of static pages.

Wulf

>>> dean.wilson3 at virgin.net 31/07/2001 2:17:01 pm >>>
On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 01:51:32PM +0100, Simon Furey wrote:
> No actually I think you'll find IIS needs the services supplied by NT or
> Win2K and can't run or be installed on the 95/98/Me O/s's and hence why as

The Win 9X series of OS's can have PWS (Peer web server) installed, which
is basicly IIS with a couple of bits missing. You can run PHP or MODPerl
with it so its semi funcational :)

It doesn't use services it runs as a process in a command window instead.

wulf.f-b at uhl.nhs.uk

DISCLAIMER:

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual and
not necessarily the Trust. This email and any files transmitted with
it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual
or entity to whom they are addressed. Any unauthorised disclosure of
the information contained in this e-mail is strictly prohibited.

The contents of this email may contain software viruses which could
damage your own computer system. Whilst we have taken every
reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, we cannot accept liability
for any damage which you sustain as a result of software viruses.
You should therefore carry out your own virus checks before opening
the attachment.

If you have received this email in error please notify the sender or
postmaster at uhl.nhs.uk. Please then delete this email.

University Hospital Lewisham
Tel: 020 8333 3000
Web: www.uhl.ac.uk