[Gllug] Building Intranet Kiosks

Wulf Forrester-Barker wulf.f-b at uhl.nhs.uk
Wed Jul 11 11:50:42 UTC 2001

Jim <jim at gonzul.org> wrote:

> No matter which OS/software you go with, you'll
> probably hit similar issues. You can tune your
> application selection (for example, Opera has a
> very good kiosk mode to it's browser) but because
> most applications pride themselves on their
> customiseability, sooner or later things will change.

Where's the kiosk mode in Opera? I've found mouse gestures and full screen mode while fiddling around, but haven't hit kiosk mode yet. Full screen mode is good though... it lets me work with a web page filling the full desktop space (although you then have to learn a few keyboard shortcuts to get around).

D <freemadi at yahoo.co.uk> also suggested:

> Have a look at the articles on the dna lounge website for details on
> how to set up a simple kiosk with network boot etc...

http://www.dnalounge.com/backstage/src/kiosk/

Very interesting. The idea of thin clients booting over the network appeals to me... when the network manager gets back next week I'll see if I can interest him in setting up a few trials.

Wulf

I'm facing a similar problem at a school computer suite, and my current
suggested solution is to make a "perfect" installation, then take a copy oft
 he disk image, and periodically re-write the PC's disks with this image.O
 f course, that means that all user data must be stored off the PC (not ab
 ig issue) and you make it more difficult to add applications to the basei
 nstall. However I'm sure these issues can be addressed.

I'm thinking at the moment of implementing this by taking the last 500M ors
 o of the PC disk, and installing a Linux (boot details on FDD only) thatc
 an contact the server, and dd into the PC's primary (windows) partition.I
 'd be interested if anyone has any insights about how to handle
customisation of the windows data (i.e. networking details, host names, etc)

Quick wafting zephyrs vex bold Jim
Jim Cheetham jim at gonzul.org

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk

wulf.f-b at uhl.nhs.uk

DISCLAIMER:

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual and
not necessarily the Trust. This email and any files transmitted with
it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual
or entity to whom they are addressed. Any unauthorised disclosure of
the information contained in this e-mail is strictly prohibited.

The contents of this email may contain software viruses which could
damage your own computer system. Whilst we have taken every
reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, we cannot accept liability
for any damage which you sustain as a result of software viruses.
You should therefore carry out your own virus checks before opening
the attachment.

If you have received this email in error please notify the sender or
postmaster at uhl.nhs.uk. Please then delete this email.

University Hospital Lewisham
Tel: 020 8333 3000
Web: www.uhl.ac.uk