[Gllug] Editors

David Freeman freemadi at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jul 29 23:03:35 UTC 2001

 --- Chris Ball <chris at cpan.org> wrote: > On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at
11:45:34PM +0100, David Freeman wrote:
> > Sorry but it is bad upbringing on behalf of the criminals parents
> which
> > meant that they do not know what is right and what is wrong
>
> Whoa. Um. No, it isn't. The lack of a conscience is a form of
> psychosis,
> in the same way that schizophrenia is. The sort of criminals who
> *honestly* don't know what is right/wrong are unable to find out. The
> other half are the ones who do realise exactly what they're doing,
> and
> do it anyway. Even this may have nothing to do with parental
> upbringing.

This is true and I beleive society has tried and true ways of treating
mental illness. I will also acknowledge thos who do it for kicks.

> > it is also societies problem that we have people who feel they need
> > steel as we don't provide them with what they need crime free.
>
> And there also people who have made millions through theft and keep
> doing it, viz. large-scale crime, Mafia organisations. I would be
> greatly
> surprised if criminals in the prevalent case weren't unable to
> differentiate right and wrong and commited crime for basic survival
> as
> you suggest. The opposite, surely, is true in the huge majority of
> cases.

yes but why does society create a situation where
a) people need to commit crime for survival
b) Commit crime as it is so much more profitable than legit business?

Thanks

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk